Prenatal Yoga & Preparation for birth
If you're pregnant and looking for ways to relax or stay fit, you might be considering prenatal yoga. But did you know that prenatal yoga might also help you prepare for labor and promote your baby's health?
Before you start prenatal yoga, understand the range of possible benefits, as well as what a typical class entails and important safety tips.
What are the benefits of prenatal yoga?
Much like other types of childbirth-preparation classes, prenatal yoga is a multifaceted approach to exercise that encourages stretching, mental centering and focused breathing. Research suggests that prenatal yoga is safe and can have many benefits for pregnant women and their babies.
Research suggests that prenatal yoga can:
- Improve sleep
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Increase the strength, flexibility and endurance of muscles needed for childbirth
- Decrease lower back pain, nausea, carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms, headaches and shortness of breath
Prenatal yoga can also help you meet and bond with other pregnant women and prepare for the stress of being a new parent.
What happens during a typical prenatal yoga class?
A typical prenatal yoga class might involve:
- Breathing. You'll be encouraged to focus on breathing in and out slowly and deeply through the nose. Prenatal yoga breathing techniques might help you reduce or manage shortness of breath during pregnancy and work through contractions during labor.
- Gentle stretching. You'll be encouraged to gently move different areas of your body, such as your neck and arms, through their full range of motion.
- Postures. While standing, sitting or lying on the ground, you'll gently move your body into different positions aimed at developing your strength, flexibility and balance. Props — such as blankets, cushions and belts — might be used to provide support and comfort.
- Cool down and relaxation. At the end of each prenatal yoga class, you'll relax your muscles and restore your resting heart rate and breathing rhythm. You might be encouraged to listen to your own breathing, pay close attention to sensations, thoughts and emotions, or repeat a mantra or word to bring about a state of self-awareness and inner calm.
Benefits of Prenatal Yoga:
- Facilitates labor and natural birth
- Improved sleep
- Reduced stress
- Increased strength, flexibility and endurance
- Decreased lower back pain
- Decreased nausea- Better blood circulation (decreasing swellings)
- Breathwork practice calms mama
Your 75 minute weekly class includes below all these inclusions
Part one of class
Physical prenatal yoga practice
Dominique will be Leading you through a variety of 50 minute yoga sequences weekly designed specifically for Pregnancy with postures to address and relieve the common discomforts of pregnancy; relaxation techniques and breathing exercises to ease fear and anxiety; abdominal and pelvic floor toning to enhance postnatal recovery, enjoy soothing essential oils sprays for Pregnancy & calm.
Part two of class
Well informed & practical preparation for birth activities
In the second part of your weekly class we will spend around 25 to 30 minutes turning our attention & learning Yoga postures, breath wortk & very practical meditation to help you through the stage's of labour & delivery. Be confident and well prepared with these amazing sessions.
BONUS TAKE HOME NOTES
You will also be given all the take home notes to use in your delivery room via email around week 7 of classes. In addition to the practice and learning of these material in class feel free to practice this with your birthing partner at home in preparation for birth as well.
This class is beneficial at anytime during pregnancy. No prior yoga experience required.
We offer limited spaces in either our Wednesday's 6.25pm & or Saturday's 9.20am Prenatal Yoga classes.
Health fund rebates may also apply if Yoga is in your policy, see Health funds
We would love to help you move through this exciting stage of your life with better health, calm, strength, tone, relaxation & all the tools to move through your Pregnancy & birthing experience with support from like minded Women.
Mum of 2, experienced Senior Yoga, Prenatal Yoga trained & qualified Teacher Dominique will lead you through these very supportove classes.
After finishing teacher training & becoming fully qualified for Prenatal yoga a while back. IT’s is my responsibility & duty to lead our beautiful Mums in practices that are designed for the ever changing body, mind & spirit safely for expecting Mums. Our courses are now moving into our 5th year in the studio & I am extremely proud to say this term we are helping our 300+Th Mumma to be since 2014.